Saturday, October 17, 2009

Social Networking 101 anyone?

     I had an interesting and somewhat frustrating experience this evening. I wanted to create something called a Facebook Fan Page, that is, a page for my jewelry business as opposed to my "personal" page. I think I may have done it, but I'm not sure! It seems to be impossible to see your Facebook pages as another person would see them, without the buttons and options and so on. I'm not even sure what "URL" is the right one for accessing this page. I'd like, of course, to have "fans," and "followers," and "comments," but all of that is a little vague for me too -- both how to encourage people to do it and specifically what "it" is.
     I also tried to connect the beadedjewelrybysusan Facebook Page with Twitter and with Susan's Blog and with my Etsy site. Again, I'm not sure if everything is working the way it's supposed to, but there is a link to Facebook at the bottom right corner of this blog page.
   Is it just me or is all of this horribly complicated? There is an entire field of study devoted to "human factoring," in other words, interfaces that allow ordinary people to interact with computers easily and naturally. I don't think the Facebook creators know about it maybe, but that may be unfair.
     I didn't use a computer until I was 26 years old and that was a very long time ago and on a specialized system that preceded so-called personal computers by a decade. So I'm not illiterate about computers exactly, but geez ... kids who start having their own websites in kindergarten can run circles around me already.
    Is there someone out there among you, dear readers, who can direct me to a simple roadmap, to a Social Networking 101 short course, or something like that to ease my way a bit? Does anyone want to comment, become a fan, follow, or just sympathize?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    Welcome to the world of blogging, I am reasonably new to this myself, so thought I would drop you a quick comment. I am also extremely new to Etsy, this whole online selling is a huge learning curve for me.
    Good luck for the future.
    Kind regards
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your Facebook page and your twitter and all of that. It gets easier as you get used to it. I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee and DK,
    Thanks for the encouragement. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deep breath - it's true it does get easier. Try logging out of facebook and then google your fan page and see how it looks. The etsy forums are also a great source of information and they are filled with kind and helpful people. Sometimes the Storque on etsy has articles that can really help too. I hope this helps a little :)
    Rhiannon
    Daily Paint Journal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm ... what do you mean by "google your fan page" exactly? There may well be something here I'm missing ...

    ReplyDelete