Friday, November 6, 2009

Fiction Corner: Margot Livesey

I've had a lot going on in my personal life recently and so haven't gotten through as many novels as usual. But I am nearly finished with Banishing Verona by Margot Livesey and finding it quite engaging. Ms. Livesey is a Scottish writer, now living in Boston, I think, and I have read two other novels of hers, The Missing World and The House on Fortune Street, both of which were excellent. I enjoy writers from the United Kingdom, especially since I delight in finding "British-isms" in the novels. Of course, all Americans know about phrases like "ring me up" for "phone me" ... but here's a good one: "sleeping policeman" for those concrete speed bumps used to slow down traffic. Do you, dear readers, know of any good ones?
   Other favorite U.K. authors include Graham Swift, Ian McEwan, Susan Hill, Benjamin Black, Kate Atkinson, Penelope Lively, and Kazuo Ishiguro. What are you reading now? Love to get comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment