Sunday, January 31, 2010

Valentine's Day

What a nice way to start the day today: I opened my e-mail to find notification of a new etsy sale! This time it is a pair of Green Millefiore Heart Earrings. I strongly suspect that they were purchased as a Valentine's Day gift for a lucky lady. It always tickles me to have my jewelry purchased as gifts. I love making it, and I need to sell it to keep being able to buy wonderful new beads, but there's something special about knowing it is going to be a present for someone, an expression of someone's caring and affection.


It's too bad that so many holidays -- and the whole idea of gift giving itself -- have been abused and exploited commercially to the extent that they have. Many people are cynical about holiday gifts. They think that Valentine's Day, for example, is just an excuse for florists and chocolatiers to make a bundle. Maybe there's some truth to it, but I remember the excitement that came from getting a tiny box of chocolates from my grandad on Valentine's Day (and a bit bigger box with a red ribbon for grandma and a modest bouquet). My husband has bought me candy for Valentine's many times as well, and we always go out to dinner that night at a favorite restaurant. It's romantic, it's old-fashioned, and it's sweet.

What are you doing for Valentine's Day? No need to be blue if you don't have a sweetheart, however, because the whole idea of showing your "heart" can be just as warm and affectionate if you buy a Valentine's treat for your cat, your nextdoor neighbor, your coworker, or yourself! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment