Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year ... New Computer!

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted in Susan's blog. Just before the first of December, my eight-year-old computer gave out at last. I knew it had to happen eventually, but it's always a blow when it comes, isn't it though?

I had been dreading the technical aspect of computer replacement more than the financial element, to tell the truth. I don't really know my "gigs" from my "megs" and so on very well. I still remember, in fact, when 48K on our old Apple IIe was a big deal! Fortunately for me, my friend Bob was willing to do the research for me and help me select the right replacement machine for my needs.

Then there was a bit of a wait after online ordering for the boxes to arrive in the mail. Of course, it also took a while to set up the new machine and the new flat screen monitor (my first). I soon discovered that my printer wouldn't work with the new equipment, but my sweet stepson bought us a printer for Christmas and installed it. He and Bob helped out with getting things set up in terms of software too, such as getting my mail program to work right, loading the browser I'd decided to use, and so on.

It will take me a while yet to get used to all the new goodies and the differences in the programs. This time, I want to take the time to learn more about the options in the new system, the new browser, the new mail program, and the new version of Word.

 For example, tonight I learned how to transfer photos from my camera to the pictures folder on the new machine, such as this shot of our Christmas tree:


Speaking of Christmas, we had a very nice one. It was completely white, with tons of snow all around that has been (temporarily, I suppose) washed away by rain since the New Year. On Christmas day, we had four friends join us for a baked ham, potatoes, brussel sprouts, cranberry apples, green salad, corn casserole, and banana cream pie. A good time was had by all.



Now it's time to ease into the New Year, hoping that the rest of the winter won't be too bad and that 2011 will be a better year for us all!

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Susan! Good to see that you are back in the 'blogging mode.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Susan!!
    Have you gotten my email?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elis, You'd better e-mail me again. I've got a new e-mail program with this new computer and am making my address book all over again!

    ReplyDelete